History

In 2017, St. Paul’s celebrated 125 years of ministry. That year we explored the history of our mission to Murfreesboro and Rutherford County, finding our roots in the story of steady growth and development that made us who we are.

1892-1917—In 1892 the combination of a visionary bishop, missionary clergy, and prominent citizens in Murfreesboro produced the town’s first permanent mission. Within two years the congregation built and furnished a church and then rebuilt it after a destructive fire in 1912. Without a resident priest after 1906, the small congregation struggled, but strong leaders, male and female, guided its survival and created a legacy of lay governance.

1918-1945—Despite two world wars and economic depression, both Murfreesboro and St. Paul’s grew. Leaders improved the church’s visibility by moving the present day chapel two blocks to its current location on East Main Street. They sheathed it with Sewanee sandstone and created memorials to the founders, instilling a sense of heritage and identity. Increased attendance led to the appointment of the first full-time, resident priest since 1906. St. Paul’s never again was without permanent clergy.

1946-1963—The combination of wartime spending and postwar economic prosperity produced growth in population and local military, business, medical, and academic institutions. St. Paul’s also grew in members, donations, and programs. Incorporating new parishioners, mostly military and civilian professionals with children, required expanded facilities, so in 1949 St. Paul’s built a “parish house” behind the church. Lay leaders systematized stewardship with an “Every Member Canvass,” women managed the sacristy and sponsored fundraising events, and the mission’s youth organized for fun and service. St. Paul’s achieved parish status in 1963.

1964-1990—Growth in numbers, from 319 to over 500, accompanied change from outside the parish: a new prayer book, ordaining women, the charismatic renewal movement, and social reform. For the first time, parishioners attended a Cursillo weekend, which became the principal tool for building leaders and workers, and outreach ministries expanded. Increases in fellowship activities and Christian education led to a second parish hall developed in a renovated furniture store next door. Women now joined the vestry and became liturgical ministers.

1991-Present—In the last twenty-seven years, St. Paul’s has been reaching out in ministry. The hallmarks of Fr. Gene Wise’s cure (1991-2006) were hospitality and evangelism. A strong supporter of lay leadership, he used Cursillo to build active ministers in Christian formation, pastoral care, fellowship, worship, and outreach to MTSU and the community. Having outgrown the first church, St. Paul’s purchased four adjacent properties, built a new worship space, and remodeled two structures to serve the administration and youth. His successor, the Rev. James K. Polk Van Zandt, broadened our vision further, inspiring new outreach programs to the homeless and the needy at home and abroad. The new parish hall, completed in 2015 and dedicated to “Enabling for God’s Service,” is the headquarters for equipping all our parishioners to be Christian workers in this part of God’s vineyard.

Campus and Grounds

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church sits on over one and a half acres located on Main Street just east of the historic Murfreesboro Square. The original church on the current location was the existing chapel, which was dragged to the site by mules in 1929. The 21st century has been a busy time in the growth of our parish campus. A new nave, narthex, and adjoining sacristy, nurseries, and Flower Guild room were built in 2002 and join our original chapel used for smaller, more intimate functions. A new parish hall and education and meeting room spaces were completed in 2015. This phase added almost 14,000 additional square feet of Christian education and Catechesis rooms, along with a parish hall equipped with a large commercial kitchen and capable of seating over two hundred people. This addition is both an aesthetically beautiful and incredibly functional space for our parish.

Our campus is busy with activity, and it is not uncommon for meeting spaces to be occupied​ almost every night of the week. Some campus buildings are used in outreach ministries to our downtown homeless population, such as the Coldest Nights ministry shelter for women when the temperature drops below freezing. Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, AA, drug court counseling, organ training for university students, and many more groups use our campus on a regular basis. This new space has undoubtedly filled its mission in “equipping us for ministry!”

Looking forward, our long-range plan includes additional phases to update and renovate office facilities, our nursery, and add more Christian education and meeting space. God will guide us, and we are blessed to have such a beautiful and high functioning campus.